How to apply?
You can apply to the University of Jyväskylä (JYU) as an exchange student for one or two semesters in case your home university is a partner university of JYU. You should first apply through your home university to be nominated to Erasmus+, Erasmus+ Global, Nordplus/Nordlys, ISEP, FIRST, Becas Chile or bilateral exchange.
- Please ask your home university to inform the International Office of your nomination to study at the University of Jyväskylä. The nominations should be sent to international-office[at]jyu.fi by 15 May / 1 November.
- After your home university has nominated you to study at the University of Jyväskylä as an exchange student, please fill in an online application no later than 15 May / 1 November. There is no need to send a paper copy of the application. You can apply for accommodation using the same online application form.
- After you have completed the online application, you are asked to register to the application system and enter your personal data, transcript of records and study plan into the system. Your application is complete and will be processed only after you have followed all the steps of the application system and entered all the required information. The Learning Agreement should be prepared and the transcript of records uploaded into the online application by the end of the application deadline.
- After we have received your application form and the transcript of records and your host department has approved your application, we will send you a letter of admission and information on living and studying in Jyväskylä.
- 15 May for the autumn semester/academic year (application period begins on 15 March)
- 1 November for the spring semester (application period begins on 1 September for bilateral, Becas Chile and FIRST applicants and 15 September for Erasmus+, Erasmus+ Global and Nordplus students)
You can choose courses from the curriculum of your host department and/or from the international study programmes arranged at the University of Jyväskylä. If you cannot find information on the courses offered during the study period you are applying for, you may prepare your Learning Agreement based on current year's course information. If you are accepted to the University of Jyväskylä, please modify your Learning Agreement after your arrival if necessary.
Before applying to the University of Jyväskylä, please asses your language skills in English according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. If you are an Erasmus+ or Erasmus+ Global student, please assess your language skills in the Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support system (OLS) (contact your home university Erasmus+ coordinator for more information and access). The minimum requirement for students wishing to study at the University of Jyväskylä as exchange students is level B1, but the applicants should preferably be B2 (or higher) level users of the English language in order to be able to follow university lectures in English, participate in seminar discussions and understand written material in their field. In addition, most courses require writing essays and research papers in English. A language test certificate is not required from exchange students.
You can apply for student accommodation using the . There is no need to fill in any additional applications for accommodation on the website of the university or on the websites of the accommodation offices. >> More information on housing
When planning your exchange period at the University of Jyväskylä, please take into consideration our academic calendar.
When applying to our university, please inform us if you have special needs that require special arrangements or services. Please see the special needs page for more information.
Sign up for the following services
- Friendship Family Programme (apply by 1 August / 1 December)
- XSU0005 Intensive Summer Course in Finnish in August 2017, exact dates to be confirmed (application period 15 March - 15 May)
- on 14-25 August 2017 (application period 15 March - 15 May)
You can be regarded as an exchange student applicant if
- there is a valid student exchange agreement between your home university and the University of Jyväskylä
- Your home university has nominated you to study at the University of Jyväskylä
- >> Read more