The University of Jyväskylä aims to create equal opportunities for all students to participate in the exchange programs, regardless of e.g. a student's state of health.

Special grants

Students with special needs can apply for grants to cover the extra costs of the student exchange. Accommodation and additional service opportunities vary greatly between countries and universities. It is advisable to contact the host university well in advance through the International Office, so that the availability of the necessary services can be investigated in time.

Accessibility grant for Erasmus, Nordplus/Nordlys and FIRST students

Students in need of special services nominated to Erasmus-/Nordplus-/Nordlys- and FIRST-exchange programs can apply for a special grant if the exchange results in additional costs (i.e. other than travel, accommodation and food costs). In special cases such grant applied for an exchange can be awarded in full (100%). The grant can be used for e.g. the following types of additional costs:

  • particular travel arrangements
  • organization of suitable accommodation
  • hiring an assistant (within the limits of the grant)
  • medical follow-ups (physical therapy, physical examinations)
  • special teaching materials (in Braille, recordings) or pedagogical support services

After the student exchange nominations the International Office informs the nominated students on how to apply for the accessibility grant. To apply for the grant the applicant must fill an application form available at the International Office, describing the necessary support services and estimating their costs. A doctor's medical certificate has to be attached to the application. The application form is also handed in at the International Office.

Accessibility grant for students nominated for JYU bilateral and ISEP exchanges or students receiving a travel scholarship for an internship abroad

The accessibility grant of the University of Jyväskylä is intended to enable a study abroad period when the disability, illness or learning difficultly of the student will bring on additional costs when studying abroad. The accessibility grant of JYU is meant for the students that have been nominated for JYU's bilateral or ISEP-exchages. Also the students who have obtained an internship position abroad can apply for the grant.

The student-specific sum of support will be decided based on the number of applications, the individual needs of the applicants, and the verified extra costs. More information on the application for the accessibility grant will be sent to all student nominated for bilateral and ISEP-exchange. Information is also available through the International Office (international-office [at]

Information on the accessibility grant for those doing an internship abroad is available at the Career Services of the university (Annamari Rovamo, firstname.lastname [at]

CIMO's internship scholarships

Those chosen for an internship of the international mobility and co-operation organization CIMO can also apply for an accessibility grant.

Practical information about social security and support services

Social security abroad

If a full-time student takes part in a student exchange during their studies, they can receive a disability benefit / disability pension also for their studies abroad given that Kela sees that they are eligible for Finnish social security. Because a study exchange is considered to be a temporary residence abroad, the student will, in general, remain eligible for Finnish social security during their exchange.

The situation of the disability benefit / pension has to be ascertained before moving abroad. The student needs to visit the Kela office in their home town before their exchange regarding insurance matters. Their right to a disability benefit / pension will be determined at that point.

For more information contact Kela's Centre for International Affairs (tel. 020 634 0200).

Support services abroad

The level of support services varies greatly from country to country and university to university. It is advisable to start planning your exchange at least 6-12 months ahead, so that the availability of needed services (e.g. special accommodation, study aids, personal assistants etc) can be secured prior to departure.

Many American universities have good support services and foreign students are offered the same services as locals. For example, a student who uses sign language can get an interpreter for their studies. Students heading to North America should contact their host university well in advance to inquire the availability of services. They may have a specific office that processes matters related to the accommodation of studies and practicalities.

Students applying to North American universities usually have to complete an English language TOEFL test. Students can also participate in an adapted test in which instructions and assignments are available in e.g. large print, Braille or on tape, a sign language interpreter can be employed, and so forth. Alternatively, it is possible to get an extended time limit. More information:

Exchange experiences

Read about students' exchange experiences (in Finnish):

Ludvig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany

Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Nordplus-language course in Gothenburg (Attn! It is not possible to attend a language course abroad with JYU's financing but this exchange report has other general information about studying in a Swedish university)