What to study abroad?

All degree students of the University of Jyväskylä (JYU) can study abroad as a part of their degree.

What can I study abroad?

Most study exchange programmes are aimed at undergraduate and graduate students. Some places are available for post-graduate students within the Erasmus programme and bilateral agreements. Most post-graduate students acquire a foreign study place and a scholarship for it outside of the study exchange programmes.

During the study abroad period you can complete studies which can be transferred to become a part of your major or minor. Additionally, you can complete language studies (e.g. courses on the language of the host country). You can also start a new minor studies programme that is not available in JYU while abroad and include it in your degree.

What you can study in each exchange university depends on the exchange programme. On university-level exchanges (bilateral, ISEP-, FIRST-, and Nordlys-exchange) the area of studies is typically unrestricted. On faculty-/department-level exchanges (Erasmus, Nordplus) the area of studies is the same as in the corresponding faculty/department. For example on the exchanges done through the department of Physics is it possible to study Physics, etc.

Credit transfer issues must to be negotiated with your department before the exchange period, once the exchange destination has been determined.

How much should I study?

Student exchange requires full-time studying abroad. The exchange study plan should contain 30 credits per semester.

The student must complete as many points abroad as in Finland to receive student financial aid from Kela. The full-time criteria for studies is available on the student financial aid -website.

When can I go?

Students who are doing a Bachelor's (or Bachelor's + Master's) degree must have completed at least one year at JYU before studying abroad.

Students in Master's degree programs must have completed at least one semester at JYU by the beginning of the study abroad period.

It is possible to go on exchange several times, for example once at each degree level.

Exchange period in your HOPS

When preparing your personal study plan (HOPS), think about which kinds of studies abroad would be the most useful for you (major or minor subjects, Bachelor's or Master's level). Your study subject might have a recommendation on the timing of the study abroad year/semester. More information on this is available from the international coordinator at your home faculty/department.

Also, remember to choose language courses early on in your studies so that you will have adequate language skills to study abroad.

Study language

Courses in English are available in several of the partner universities of JYU, especially in the Nordic countries, the Netherlands, East-European countries, Asia and Africa. In France, Germany and Spain most of the courses are held in the local language. Students going abroad have typically completed a minimum of a high school syllabus or Language Center courses 1-4 in the language of the host university before the exchange. A knowledge of the basics of Chinese/Japanese is recommended to those going to China/Japan.

Filed under: