Accessibility and individual services

General information about the services and costs

As regards Finnish students with disabilities, their home municipality is in charge of services such as personal assistants, transportation services, as well as interpretation and translation services. This does not cover international students, and universities have no allowances for individual services.

However, the University of Jyväskylä deems it important that the needs of Finnish and international students with special needs are accommodated at the university as far as possible.The university is committed to developing its learning environments and practices according to the Rector's decision on Accessible education at the University of Jyväskylä.

The university also hires student tutors (students of our university) to assist all international students in practical matters in the beginning of their stay. However, a tutor cannot be compared to a personal assistant, and one tutor usually tutors 5-6 students at the same time. Please see below for information on how to hire a personal assistant.

Grants for Erasmus / Nordplus students

Some student exchange programmes (for instance Erasmus and Nordplus) include a possibility of obtaining accessibility grants. Please contact the Erasmus / Nordplus coordinator of your home university for further information. Information for Erasmus students is also available on the EU commission website.

If you come to our university through an exchange programme other than Erasmus or Nordplus, please inquire about the possibilities for an accessibility grant from your home university.


International students registered at the University of Jyväskylä can be accommodated at KOAS or Kortepohja student housing units where a few tailored rooms are available for students with mobility impairments. The student apartments are located approximately 2.5-4 kilometres from the Main Campus and the city centre. If you have special requests concerning accommodation, please inform the student housing provider or, if you are an exchange student, the International Office about them and apply for accommodation as early as possible before your arrival.

Physical accessibility

The university buildings and units are situated on three different campuses. Accessibility has been taken quite well into consideration in the newer buildings in Mattilaniemi, Ylistönrinne, Agora and the Library.

The older university buildings have been repaired to provide easy access for all users (i.e. the buildings include an elevator or an appropriate slide). These buildings include the Department of History (H), Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences (L), building A, Department of Music (M), Language Centre (O), administration building (T), YTHS, Student Union building (Yo-talo) and Seminarium building (S).

The F building does not provide easy access for disabled students. Some of the toilets in the older university buildings are quite difficult to access because of their small size.

Please inform your faculty or, if you are an exchange student, the International Office and the faculty-level coordinator before your arrival about your needs to guarantee easy access to all lecture rooms. If the notification is received early enough the room can be changed. If you want to take courses from the Language Centre, you should notify the Language Centre already approximately one month before the beginning of the semester, to guarantee an easy access, if possible.

Campus area map

Accessible learning environments

A few lecture halls at the university are equipped with an induction loop for students using a hearing aid. In addition, a WLAN network is in operation in many of the university buildings.

Information on the coverage of the university WLAN

Celia is a specialist library in Finland providing literature for the visually impaired and those with other print disabilities. University course books can be borrowed from Celia free of charge. Books available include talking books, Braille and/or e-books.

Please note however, that the collections of Celia do not include all the course books used at the University of Jyväskylä. Celia can also acquire new books according to students' needs, if they receive the request 2-3 months prior to the time that the book is needed.

More information on Celia

Studying and individual arrangements

Issues related to studying and study counselling should be discussed first with the head of the department or the professor in charge of your major subject. If possible, it would be good to include the education coordinator, the examiner of the course or the study programme and the person in charge of the possible course.

Please inform us in good time if you need special arrangements in classrooms and/or examinations (for example easy access to lecture rooms, or exam arrangements due to dyslexia). The student is expected to present a medical certificate or equivalent grounds for the special arrangements in English. If you have a statement of the special arrangements made in your home university, please present also that in English.

Transportation and moving around

Some of the local buses are accessible with a wheelchair, but it may be difficult to know beforehand which shift is driven with such a bus. Therefore it is recommended that persons using a wheelchair use a taxi or the service transport provided by the City of Jyväskylä for transportation in the Jyväskylä area. The service transport service costs the standard bus fare and a taxi costs around 14 euros for a 5 kilometre trip during the daytime. An additional fee of approximately 14 euros per trip may be charged if the taxi driver is needed to assist the traveler for example in entering a building.

The University has a tactile map of the city centre for the visually impaired. The map can be borrowed from Tuula Maijanen, email: tuula.maijanen (at)

Information about travelling by train

Information about travelling by coach (Matkahuolto)

Information about travelling by Onnibus

Personal assistance

The costs of hiring a personal assistant are reimbursed by the student's home municipality if the student is a permanent resident of Finland. Students who are not permanent residents of Finland must cover the costs of hiring a personal assistant themselves.

Further information on hiring a personal assistant


There are accessible parking places reserved for persons with disabilities on campus. You need to apply for a parking permit from the local police.

Special diets

Students who need a special diet have to agree about the necessary diet with the manager of the student restaurant in question. The menus for the campus area restaurants of Semma and Ilokivi can be found on the internet. The student restaurants mainly provide easy access to students with mobility impairments, except the restaurant Lozzi (building P).

Further information on student restaurants

Further information

General information on accessibility: Head of Study Administration Tuula Maijanen,

You can turn to the International Office with any questions you have. >> Contact information.

Filed under: