When all the required courses for the degree have been completed, the student applies for a degree certification from the Faculty.
When to apply for the degree
The application has to be submitted two weeks before the intended graduation date at the latest (or 10 days before the date when the Faculty of Social Sciences announces the degrees). During holidays you should be prepared for a longer processing time.
Registering completed courses
The student has to make sure that all completed courses have been registered to the transcript of records prior to submitting the application for a degree. You can check your transcript of records from Korppi (http://korppi.jyu.fi) with your university username and password. Any missing information or errors have to immediately be notified to the Departmental Office in question.
You can apply for a degree in Korppi on the Degrees page or via eHops. Instructions: https://www.jyu.fi/itp/en/korppi-guide/how-to/degree-application.
You can get a degree application form from your Faculty Office or you can print it out from the Forms page.
Instructions and schedules by Faculty
Degree certificates are granted by the decision of the Dean of the Faculty. More detailed schedules and instructions can be found on the websites of the Faculties.
- Faculty of Humanities (https://www.jyu.fi/hum/en/study/graduation/degreeform/)
- Faculty of Information Technology (https://www.jyu.fi/it/en/IT-study-instructions/topic/Graduating)
- Faculty of Education (https://www.jyu.fi/en/studywithus/programmes/mdped/Studyinfo/graduationprocess)
- Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences (https://www.jyu.fi/sport/en/study/studentinstructions/ltkgraduation)
- Faculty of Mathematics and Science (https://www.jyu.fi/science/en/studyguide/topic/Graduation)
- Jyväskylä University School of Business and Economics (https://www.jyu.fi/jsbe/en/studying/instructions/how-to/graduation)
- Faculty of Social Sciences (https://www.jyu.fi/ytk/en/studies/instructions-for-studying/graduating)
The degree certificate
The Master’s degree certificate contains the total number of credits in the major subject and the grading.
The Bachelor’s degree certificate contains the number of credits in the subject studies of the major subject and the grading.
Minor subject credits are marked in the certificate according to the instructions of the Faculty in question. The student has to make sure that the major and minor subjects have been registered in their entirety with the number of credits and grading.
The Admission and Student Services will send a Diploma Supplement to all students that have completed their Bachelor’s and Master’s degree. The Diploma Supplement is intended for international use.
Diploma conferment ceremony / graduation ceremony
Some of the Faculties organize a diploma conferment ceremony or a graduation ceremony once or twice a year. Invitations are sent by the Faculty Office to all those who have graduated during the semester or academic year.
Solemn Conferment of Degrees Ceremony (Promootio)
Solemn Conferment of Degrees Ceremony is the biggest academic festivity, during which Masters’, Doctors’ and Honorary Doctors’ degrees are conferred. Master promovendi are also awarded the right to wear the master’s laurel and ring as the symbols of the degree. Similarly, doctor promovendi are given the doctoral hat and sword.
The Ceremony is arranged at 3-4 years’ intervals and all Master’s and Doctoral students who have graduated after the previous Ceremony are invited.