All students studying at the University of Jyväskylä are responsible for obtaining their own insurance. You should therefore acquire your own health, accident and travel insurance before coming to Finland.

EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of EU and EEA countries should bring a European Health Insurance Card with them which can be obtained from the local social security office in your home country. The European Health Insurance Card entitles the holder to healthcare under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in Finland. The European Health Insurance Card is by no means a substitute for travel insurance nor does it cover any unexpected expenses such as repatriation, medical transport or damage to personal belongings. You are therefore advised to acquire also private health and travel insurance.

Students from outside the EU/EEA

If you come from outside the EU or EEA, you are required to have private medical insurance as follows:

  • For studies of less than two years, a student must have private insurance which primarily covers the costs of medical treatment up to 120,000 euros.
  • If the duration of studies is two years or more, a student has to apply for home municipality in Finland and, after getting it, is entitled to municipal health care services at the same price as the local residents. In such cases, it is sufficient for the insurance to primarily cover the cost of medicines up to 40,000 euros.

You are required to have insurance cover when applying for a residence permit. The residence permit cannot be granted without the insurance. For more information, please see the web pages of the Finnish Immigration Service.

Insurance plans

For more information on insurances, please contact your local insurance company or have a look at the website of the Finnish Immigration Service for their insurance recommendations:

Accidents occurring while studying

The University of Jyväskylä has a statutory accident insurance for the University’s students and it is based on the law about compensating for accidents occurring while studying (460/2015). Regarding accidents, Protector Forsikring ASA’s Finnish branch acts as the University’s insurance company. The accident insurance provides cover for the University’s basic degree students. Exchange students studying at JYU are not covered by this insurance. Unpaid interns working at JYU are covered by accident insurance.

Accidents in a practical training period will be compensated for when they take place during

  1. practical teaching within a school, as well as
  2. unpaid practical training period taking place within a workplace outside the school.

Also accidents taking place during trips to and from the practical training are covered by the insurance.

In case the student is paid for the practical training, he/she is covered by the employer’s accident insurance.

How to act when an accident happens?

  1. In case of an accident, please notify your teacher immediately
  2. You can seek medical treatment at e.g. the Finnish Student Health Service, public health centers or private health services. Please note that the insurance company may refuse your claims settlement application, in which case you may have to pay for the medical costs afterwards. If needed, you may request a financial obligation from the insurance company for more expensive medical examinations.
  3. Please submit the insurance company details (Protector, insurance number 649875) to the Finnish Student Health Service or other medical institution. If needed, you can obtain an insurance certificate required by the Finnish Student Health Service or the other medical institution from the University Service Centre.
  4. Make a notice of injury. You can fill in the notice of injury form at this link (currently only in Finnish)
  5. In addition to the compulsory fields (marked as *), please also fill in at least your telephone number, e-mail address as well as the name and address of the hospital, YTHS or other medical institution. In the section “What (work or other) was the employee doing…” (Mitä (työtä tai muuta) työntekijä oli tekemässä…) please state the degree you are currently completing, your major subject, starting date of the studies, estimated graduation date as well as the name and the code of the course during which the accident happened.
  6. Employer information
    • Business identity code (Y-tunnus): 0245894-Insurance number (Vakuutusnumero): 649875
    • Company’s occupational health care (name and address) (Yrityksen työterveyshuolto (nimi ja osoitetiedot)): YTHS, Puistokatu 4, 40100 Jyväskylä
    • Information on employment and salary (Työsuhdetta ja palkkaa koskevat tiedot): Please put here.
    • The insurance number for students is 649875.
  7. Please email the original documents related to the accident (e.g. the receipts of the medical examinations you have paid for) as attachments to the notice of injury to or mail them to:
    Protector Vakuutus
    Kalevankatu 13 A
    00100 Helsinki

Useful information:

Protector emails the compensation decision directly to you. If the decision is negative, you may make a claim for rectification to Protector. For additional Information regarding accidents, please contact occupational-accidents-servicecentre(at) or contact person Jari Rahikainen tel 0408053095. You can also find additional information at Protector’s web pages

Accident insurance during overseas study or practical training

If the studies abroad or practical training is part of the student’s JYU curriculum, the accident insurance is valid on the above mentioned situations (see paragraph Accidents in a practical training period will be compensated for when they take place during) for the period of the studies abroad or practical training.

The accident insurance applies to accidents which have occurred during practical teaching situations and unpaid practical training. When travelling abroad, it is recommended that you should have a travel insurance which supplements the insurance cover also in case of travel illnesses, travel interruptions and cancellations. Please find more information here: Checklist for outgoing students